Wednesday, October 22, 2014

About Me

Image by Me (CC BY-NC-ND)
Image by Me (CC BY-NC-ND)
 
Everyone remembers what happened in 2008, right? The bottom fell out of our job market. Something else happened that year: I graduated college. So I did the obvious thing, the thing that everyone told me I should do, I went to graduate school for my Ph.D.. Six years, a lot of hard work, one thesis, and one wedding later it was 2014, and I had a Ph.D. in genetics from Clemson University, a wonderful husband, and no serious job prospects.
I decided to start this blog as a way to keep my toes in the scientific community, hopefully while helping other people sort the serious from the sensational in mainstream science journalism. Since my expertise is in biochemistry and genetics, that's the type of science I'll focus on. That includes things like human metabolism and what that tells us about good nutrition, genetic disposition to disease, basic immunology and communicable disease, and agricultural genetics (GMO or no?). I'll find the stories that everyone is seeing on the major news outlets, find the real science behind the story, and break that down right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment